Wednesday, June 1, 2011

A World without My Dryer!


Recently my washer broke down... It would make a LOUD crashing sound fling itself about 3-4 feet across my kitchen floor and spill all the fucking water out! Now as someone that has 3 small children (yes I'm counting the husband here!) I had a fucking panic attack!! I keep saying "why my washer?!? I could live without the dryer! Why does my washer have to go!!!!!" (yes yes I'm a bit dramatic!) so my some miracle of the universe my husband fixed the washer! And I was able to breath once again!

Then I got to thinking... COULD I live without my dryer? How much effort would it really be to line dry ALL our laundry? (it's not as huge a jump as some people as we already have the line up for the diapers) So I figured why the fuck not? This was a week ago!

So I've decided there are things I like and don't like about this plan...

First it requires me to wash pretty much on a daily basis... This is good and bad. 1) I have to make time daily to do laundry (a lot more difficult then it sounds working full time and with two small children) 2) it makes it so I don't do my default laundry mode... Pile it all up until no one has ANYTHING to wear and rush through it all in one day.

I LOVE the way the line dried clothes smell! I'm all for that grassy sunshine summer smell! I think I get some vitamin D just from smelling my happy line dried clothes!! ^_^ (wow that was annoyingly rainbows and unicorns-ish!) 

I enjoy that I can fold the laundry as I go along taking it off the line... It seems a lot less daunting then taking this huge pile of clothes out of the dryer and thinking... I have to fold ALL that shit?!?!? And I'm totally the person that has the pile of laundry on my couch waiting to be folded! (if you've never been this person you're either lying to yourself or are "perfect" and imma have to ask you to gtfo kthx ;) ) This has helped that so much! 

I completely HATE the stiffness this gives to our towels! It's horrible! I could probably try fabric softener (I've never used it, bought it, looked at it :-/) but I'm pretty set on not adding a dependency on yet another chemical ;).

So all and all this has been a fairly rewarding experience! It may not seems "world changing" but I like to think about the amount of energy I would have used the rest of my life if I'd continued using my dryer and almost completely erase that and I feel like I've accomplished something and feel a little warm and fuzzy inside! Although the fuzzies weird me out so I drown them with a beer ;) 
Good night Internet! 

2 comments:

  1. You could add vinegar to your rinse cycle with your towels and see if that helps or try this recipe: http://www.house-cleaning-howtos.com/homemade-fabric-softener.html

    Saw your link on the DFW Cloth Diaper Group's wall... anyone who says the f word as much as you has got my readership ;P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome!!! I add the vinegar to my diapers but I didn't think about adding it to the regular clothes!!! I'll try that in about an hour as my son decided to spill out the bath water out of the tub this morning and ALL the fucking towels are dirty now from soaking it up!!!

    ReplyDelete